Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jambalaya



So, I had another one of those weird cravings, and this time it was for jambalaya. I'd never made it before and so I looked for a recipe and decided to give it a try. Well, I found two, but each had problems. Problems meaning that one used instant rice (which Tom hates) and the other used preseasoned frozen vegetables (which Tom also hates). Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but the man is picky. To be fair, he's only this picky in his own home. If we go somewhere, he'll eat anything except beets. Anyways, I digress. So, neither really gave me what I wanted, so I decided to be daring and just try a combo of the two. Which, in retrospect, really wasn't all that daring, just a little complicated at first. Luckily, it all worked out and came together nicely. It was definitely spicy to me, which means just right for Tom and too spicy for most people. Why am I telling you all this? Because I decided that I was going to share the products of my labors. Really, this has been one of the fews recipes of late that I've tried and have been pleased with the results. Enough to actually make it again AND share it with others. Wow, I'm wordy tonight, I should really go to bed. Without further adieu:




My Jambalaya
1 Tbs oil
1 lb or so andouille sausage (I like Chef Bruce Aidells Cajun Style Andouille)
1 green pepper, chopped
½ onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 32oz carton chicken broth
2 cups rice (not instant)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Sauté the sausage in the oil until light brown. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Sauté the green pepper, onion, celery, green onions and garlic in the reserved drippings until the onion is tender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.


Note: This was really spicy, which we loved. If making for kids, consider omitting the cayenne pepper and using regular andouille sausage, not Cajun style.

2 comments:

Shaina said...

You know I don't think I've ever actually eaten Jambalaya, and I know I've never cooked it. I'm impressed that you've done both. But I do like saying it. Jambalaya. Fun huh?

Jenny Roberts said...

I've always seen the Jambalaya boxes at the stores and I've thought about trying it...but to actually make it from scratch - that's daring. Good job.